Friday, May 28, 2010

HONORING OUR FALLEN HEROES


Did you know that at military funerals the 21 gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers 1776?

My friend, Marilyn Barnewell, has written this beautiful Memorial Day tribute:

"'It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died," said Gen. George S. Patton. "Rather we should thank God that such men lived.'I mourn their absence and thank God they lived.To the Marines who fought so valiantly at Iwo Jima during World War II, Admiral Nimitz said: "Uncommon valor was a common virtue." The words are carved into the base of the Iwo Jima Memorial.It is a good time to contemplate what a good beginning we were given and how much or how little each of has done -- not talked about or suggested or recommended, but done -- to support the gift of freedom bestowed by Patriots on us. Perhaps so many celebrate this holiday merely as a day off - avoid its real purpose - because their patriotism ends with little thought and less action. No wonder so few by comparison to the total give thanks to God for the opportunity to serve.May God bless America by stripping away the myths of glory and replace them with truth that shines so brightly its goodness blinds us."

Thank you, Marilyn, for that inspiring message.

I will spend this Memorial Day at the cemetery here in Steamboat, as a rifleman in the VFW/American Legion Honor Guard. I will pray as I remember my fallen comrades.
I mourn their absence, and thank God they lived.
Freedom is not free.


Bob McConnell

No comments:

Post a Comment


Bruce DuFresne

Tired of unresponsive "representatives" who do as they're told?

Governance is too important to leave in the hands of politicians. We need to hold our representatives feet to the fire. We must watch every bill, demand that they read it fully and listen to us. We must be relentless in our civic duty because we have been asleep too long.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Steamboat Springs, CO, United States
I'm a conservative Republican who ran for Congress in Colorado's Third Congressional District in 2010. Though I lost the primary I gained an amazing insight into how politics works, and I met hundreds of wonderful, concerned citizens. Let's stay engaged in the mission. Write to me at beawatchman@aol.com, and keep the faith.