Thursday, February 18, 2010

THE MOST ENDANGERED SPECIES

We hear plenty of talk by environmentalists about smelts and chubs, flycatchers and grouse, shiners and sturgeons. We don’t hear very much about the most endangered species in our country today, the American worker. The farmers and ranchers, miners and drillers, dry wall hangers and electricians who feed us, provide our energy, and build our homes are in danger of going extinct. We lost our way in 1973 when Richard Nixon signed the Endangered Species Act into law. Common sense management, and responsible use of our federal, state, and private land was surrendered to people who want to keep the earth exactly the way it is, or worse yet, was hundreds of years ago. The inconvenient truth is that the earth always has been, and always will be changing. Species come, and go, and are replaced by new species. That is the unchanging cycle of life.

Today we face threats that will make mismanagement of our resources under the Endangered Species Act seem like child’s play. Just for example, Cap and Trade isn’t even a law yet, and it has already had a devastating impact on American workers. This disaster of a federal bill is deterring customers from signing multi-year contracts for coal and oil. Suppliers depend on these contracts to fund opening new seams and fields. As a result, workers are being laid off, and it isn’t even a law yet. “Do not go gently into the night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.” It is time to stand up and fight. It is time to protect the real endangered species, you the American worker. The shining light of common sense is dying in Washington. I want to be a voice of common sense in Washington and I want to represent you, the people in Congress. As your representative I will:
  • Support responsible use of our natural resources.
  • Support returning control over federal lands to the states.
  • Vote to repeal the Endangered Species Act.
  • Vote to repeal the Equine Slaughter Prevention Act.
  • Oppose Animal ID.
  • Oppose Cap and Trade.
  • Oppose the Feingold Water Bill.

I am Bob McConnell, retired Colonel, Airborne-Ranger. I follow the same code of conduct now that I followed in the military. I am prepared to fight, and if need be die in defense of my country, and our way of life. I will never surrender of my own free will. I need your support in this fight, because failure is not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Bruce DuFresne

Tired of unresponsive "representatives" who do as they're told?

Governance is too important to leave in the hands of politicians. We need to hold our representatives feet to the fire. We must watch every bill, demand that they read it fully and listen to us. We must be relentless in our civic duty because we have been asleep too long.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Steamboat Springs, CO, United States
I'm a conservative Republican who ran for Congress in Colorado's Third Congressional District in 2010. Though I lost the primary I gained an amazing insight into how politics works, and I met hundreds of wonderful, concerned citizens. Let's stay engaged in the mission. Write to me at beawatchman@aol.com, and keep the faith.